Most Recent Publications
Here is a list of the most recent publications from the Division of Trauma, Critical Care and Acute Care Surgery at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.
1. Agtarap S, Boals A, Ruggero C, Holtz P, Trost Z, Rainey EE, Warren AM. The effect of depressive symptoms on social support one year following traumatic injury. J Affect Disord. 2017; 1;207:398-405.
2. Hunt, J., Sapp, M., Brasel, K., Warren, A.M. & deRoon-Cassini, T. Utility of the injured trauma survivor screen to predict PTSD and depression during hospital admission. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;82(1):93-101.
3. Jetelina KK, Reingle Gonzalez JM, Brown CVR, Foreman ML, Field C (in press). Acute alcohol use, history of homelessness, and intent of injury among a sample of adult emergency department patients. Violence and Victims.
4. Tatebe L, Jennings A, Tatebe K, Handy A, Prajapati P, Smith M, Do T, Gandhi RR, Duane TM, Luk S, Petrey LB. Traumatic Colon Injury in Damage Control Laparotomy-A Multicenter Trial: Is it Safe to Do a Delayed Anastomosis. In press, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2016.
5. Hamilton, R., Driver, S., Noorani, S., Callender, L.,Bennett, M., Monden, K. Utilization and access to healthcare services among community dwelling people living with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2017;40(3):321-328.
6. Roden-Foreman JW, Bennett MM, Rainey EE, Garrett JS, Powers MB, Warren AM. Secondary Traumatic Stress in Emergency Medicine Clinicians. In Press, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.2017.
7. Kearns, N. T., Blumenthal, H., Rainey, E. E., Bennett, M. M., Powers, M. B., Foreman, M. L., & Warren, A. M. Discrepancy in caregiving expectations predicts problematic alcohol use among caregivers of trauma injury patients six months after ICU admission. In Press, Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2017.
8. Sullivan E, Shelley J, Rainey EE, Bennett M, Prajapati P, Powers MB, Foreman ML, Warren AM. The Associations between Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms, Depression and Length of Hospital Stay Following Trauma. In Press, General Hospital Psychiatry. 2017.
9. Baird, S. O., Rinck, M., Rosenfield, D., Davis, M., Fisher, J., Becker, E. S., Powers, M. B., & Smits, J. A. J. (in press). Reducing approach bias to achieve smoking cessation: A pilot randomized placebo-controlled trial. Cognitive Therapy and Research.
10. Sikka S., Vrooman, A., Callender, L., Salisbury, D., Hamilton, R., Driver, S.J. (2017). Inconsistencies With Screening for Traumatic Brain Injury in Spinal Cord Injury Across the Continuum of Care. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine.
11. Driver, S., Reynolds, M., & Kramer, K. Modifying an evidence-based lifestyle programme for individuals with traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj. 2017;17:1-5.
12. Driver, S., Reynolds, M., Douglas, M., & Bennett, M. (2017). Describing weight loss attempts and physical activity among individuals with TBI prior to participation in a weight-loss program. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2017. May 17. [Epub ahead of print].
13. Linder, P., Miloff, A., Hamilton, W., Reuterskiöld, L., Andersson, G., Powers, M. B., & Carlbring, P (in press). Creating state of the art, next-generation virtual reality exposure therapies for anxiety disorders using consumer hardware platforms: Design considerations, and future direction. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. doi: 10.1080/16506073.2017.1280843
14. Jacquart, J., Papini, S., Davis, M., Rosenfield, D., Powers, M. B., Frierson, G. M., Hopkins, L. B., Baird, S. O., Marcus, B. H., Church,T. S., Otto, M. W., Zvolensky, M. J., & Smits, J. A. J. (2017). Identifying attendance patterns in a smoking cessation treatment and their relationships with quit success. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 174, 65-69.
15. Powers, M. B., de Kleine, R. A., & Smits, J. A. J. (in press). Core mechanisms of CBT for anxiety and depression: A review. Psychiatric Clinics of North America.
16. Jacquart, J., Roquet, R. F., Powers, M. B., Papini, S., Rosenfield, D., Smits, J. A. J., & Monfils, M. H. (in press). Enhancing exposure therapy with acute exercise: Negative findings in humans and rats. Journal of Anxiety Disorders.
17. McLaughlin C, Kearns N, Bennett M, Roden-Foreman J, Roden-Foreman K, Rainey EE, Funk G, Powers M, Warren AM. Alcohol and drug toxicology screens at time of hospitalization do not predict PTSD or depression after traumatic injury. Under review with minor revisions, Am J Surg. 2016.
18. Ramsay MA, Trotter JF. The INR is only one side of the coagulation cascade: time to watch the clot. Anaethesia 2016; 71: 613-617.
19. Boals A, Trost Z, Rainey EE, Foreman ML, Warren AM. Severity of Traumatic Injuries Predicting Psychological Outcomes: A Surprising Lack of Empirical Evidence. Revise and Resubmit. J Anxiety Disord.2017;50:1-6.
20. Callender, L., Driver, S., Shafi, S., Dubiel, R., Dahdah, M. Process for Developing Rehabilitation Practice Recommendations for Individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury. BMC Neurol. 2017;17(1):54.
21. Salisbury, D., Petrey, L.B., Warren, A.M., Richter, K., Driver, S. Hospital-based health care after Traumatic Brain Injury. In press, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.2017.
22. Roden-Foreman K, Solis J, Jones A, Bennett M, Roden-Foreman J, Rainey EE, Foreman ML, Warren AM. Prospective Evaluation of PTSD and Depression in Orthopedic Injury Patients with and without Concomitant Traumatic Brain Injury. Revise and Resubmit. J Ortho Trauma Surg. 2016.
23. Zaman, A., Dubiel, R. Driver, S., Callender, L., Bennett, M., Diggs, V. (2016). Seizure prophylaxis guidelines following traumatic brain injury: An evaluation of compliance. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2016 [Epub ahead of print].
24. Bischoff EL, Carmichael R, Reddy LV. Plating options for fixation of condylar neck and base fractures. Atlas of Oral Maxiolofac Surg Clin North Am. 2017;25(1):69-73.
25. Hanley D, Prichep LSm Badjatia N, Bazarian J, Chiacchierini RP, Curley KC, Garrett JS, Joes EB, Naunheim R, O’Neil BJ, O’Neill J, David W, Huff JS. A brain electrical activity (EEG) based biomarker of functional impairment in traumatic head injury: a multisite validation trial. J Neurotrauma. 2017 Jun 9. [Epub ahead of print]
26. Hanley D, Prichep L, Bazarian J, Huff J, Naunheim R, Garrett J, Jones E, Wright D, ONeill J, Badjatia N, Gandhi D, Curley K, Chiaccierini R, ONeil B, Hack D. Emergency Department triage of traumatic head injury using brain electrical activity biomarkers: a multisite prospective observational validation trial. In press, Academic Emergency Medicine, 2017.
27. Roden-Foreman JW, Rapier NR, Yelverton L, Foreman ML. Asking a better question: Development and evaluation of the Need For Trauma Intervention (NFTI) metric. In press, J Trauma Nurs. 2016.
28. Khanna A, English SW, Wang XS, Ham K, Szerlip H, … ATHOS-3 Investigators. Angiotensin II for the treatment of Vasodilatory Shock. N Engl J Med. 2017;337:419-430.
1. Warren AM, Rainey EE, Roden-Foreman K, Weddle RJ, Bennett M, Foreman ML. The ICU Experience: Psychological Impact on Family Members of Patients With and Without Traumatic Brain Injury. Rehabil Pychol. 2016;61(2): 179-85.
2. Wilson C, Forchheimer M, Warren AM, McCullumsmith C, Heinemann AW. Assessment of the Relationship of Spiritual Well-being to Depression and Quality of Life For Persons with Spinal Cord Injury. Disabil Rehabil. 2016; 25:1-6.
3. Driver SJ, Warren AM, Reynolds M, Agtarap S, Hamilton R., Trost Z, Monden K. Identifying predictors of resilience at inpatient and three months post spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2016;39(1):77-84.
4. Ewing M, Funk G, Warren AM, Rapier N, Reynolds M, Warren AM, Foreman ML. Improving data coding reliability for traumatic injury using a prospective systems approach. In press, Health Informatics. 2016;22(4):1076-1082.
5. Warren AM, Reynolds M, Driver S, Bennett M, Sikka S. Posttraumatic stress symptoms among spinal cord injury patients in trauma: A brief report. Accepted. In press, Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation.
6. Barker SJ, Shander A, Ramsay MA. Continuous Noninvasive Hemoglobin Monitoring: A Measured Response to a Critical Review. Anesth Analg 2016 Feb; 122(2):565-572.
7. Salisbury, D., Driver, S.J., Reynolds, M.R., Bennett, M., Petrey, L., & Warren, A.M. Hospital-based health care after traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;98(3):425-433.
8. Warren AM, Reynolds M, Roden-Foreman K, Bennett M, Austin J, Weddle RJ, Petrey LB, Foreman ML. Validation of a Brief, Two Question Depression Screen in Trauma Patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg.2016;80(2):318-23.
9. Stucky K, Stevenson J, Warren AM, Jackson JC, Merbitz N. (2015). A survey of psychology practice in critical care settings. Rehabilitation Psychol.2016; 61(2):201-209.
10. Agtarap S, Scott W, Trost Z, Warren AM. Validation of the Injustice Experience Questionnaire in a heterogeneous trauma sample. Rehabil Psychol. 2016; 61(3):336-44.
11. Mondrykamien AM, Killian L, Walters RW. Liberal Manipulation of Ventilator-Free Days. Respir Care. 2016;61(1):30-5.
12. Driver, S., Froehlich-Grobe, K., Sanches, K. Self-management interventions to prevent depression in people with mobility limitations. Rehabilitation Process and Outcome. 2016;5: 1-18.
13. Froehlich-Grobe, K., Driver, S., Sanches, K. Self-management interventions to prevent the secondary condition of pain in people with disability due to mobility limitations. Rehabilitation Process and Outcome. 2016;5: 19-42.
14. Monden, K., Trost, Z., Bogart, K., & Driver, S. The unfairness of it all: Exploring the role of injustice appraisals in rehabilitation outcomes. Rehabil Psychol. 2016;61:44-53.
15. Liechty JM, Weddle RJ, Schutze MP, Smith BL. Occurrence of a type 2 proatlantal intersegmental artery during caroitid endarterectomy for symptomatic stenosis. J Vasc Surg. 2016;64(3):807-808.
16. Salisbury, D.B., Dahdah, M., Driver, S., Parson, T.D., Richter, K.M. (2016) Virtual reality and brain computer interface in neurorehabilitation. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2016;29(2):1-4.
17. Dahdah, M. N., Barnes, S., Amy, B., Dubiel, R., Dunklin, C., Callender, L., … & Shafi S. Variations in Inpatients Rehabilitation Functional Outcomes Across Centers in the Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems (TBIMS) Study and the Influence of Demographics and Injury Severity on Patient Outcomes. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016;97(11):1821-1831.
18. Modrykamien AM, Hernandez OO, Im Y, Walters RW, Schrader CL, Smith LE, Lima B. Mechanical ventilation in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome and treated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: Impact on hospital and 30 day postdischarge survival. ASAIO J. 2016;62(5):607-612.
19. Driver, S., & Woolsey, A. Evaluation of a physical behavior change program for individuals with brain injury. In press, Arch Phy Med Rehabil. 2016.
20. Driver, S., Rachal, L., Swank, C., Dubiel, R. Objective assessment of activity in inpatients with traumatic brain injury: Initial findings. Brain Impairment. 2016; 17:55-63.
21. Newgard CD, Sanchez BJ, Bulger EM, Brasel KJ, Byers A,… Ramsay M. A Geospatial Analysis of Severe Firearm Injuries Compared to Other Injury Mechanisms: Event Characteristics, Location, Timing, and Outcomes. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2016; 23:554-565.
22. Evans AJ, Kip KE, Brinjiki W, Layton KF, Jensen ML, Gaughen JR, Kallmes DF. Randomized controlled trial of vertebroplasty versus kyphoplasty in the treatment of vertebral compression fractures. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016;8(7):759-63.
23. Walsh MV, Armstrong TW, Poritz J, Elliot TR, Jackson WT, Ryan T. Resilience Pain Interface, and Upper Limb Loss: Testing the Mediating Effects of Positive Emotion and Activity Restriction on Distress. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016;97(5):781-787.
24. Warren AM, Jones A, Bennett M, Solis J, Reynolds M, Rainey EE, Viere G, Foreman ML. Prospective Evaluation of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Injured Patients with and without Orthopedic Injury. J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30(9):305-11.
1. Nicole Fox, MD, Diane Schwartz, MD, Jose H. Salazar, MD, Elliott R. Haut, MD, Philipp Dahm, MD, Laura B. Petrey, MD, et al. Evaluation and management of blunt traumatic aortic injury: A practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015;78(2):447.
2. Fann JR, Bombardier CH, Richards S, Wilson C, Heinemann AW, Warren AM, Brooks L, et al. Venalfaxine Extended-Release for Depression Following Spinal Cord Injury: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72(3):247-258.
3. Le D, Shafi S, Gwirtz P, Bennett M, Reeves R, Callender L, Dunklin C, Cleveland S. Effect of Obesity on Motor Functional Outcome of Rehabilitation Traumatic Brain Injury Patients. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2015;78(2):447.
4. Roden-Foreman J, Warren AM, Reynolds M, Foreman ML. Recurrent hospitalization for selfinjuries and suicide attempts: case study of a super-utilizer. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2015;28(3):331-333.
5. Mondrykamien AM, Gupta P. The acute respiratory distress syndrome. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2015;28(2):163-71.
6. Warren AM, Boals A, Weddle RJ, Reynolds M, Holtz P, Trost Z, Foreman ML. Mild traumatic brain injury increases risk for the development of posttraumatic stress disorder. (2015). J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015;79(6):1062-6.
7. Fox N, Schwartz D, Salazar JH, Haut ER, Dahm P, Black JH, Brakenridge, SC, Como JJ, Hendershot K, King DR, Maung AA, Moorman ML, Nagy K, Petrey LB, Tesoriero, R, Scalea TM, Fabian TC. Evaluation and Management of Blunt Traumatic Aortic Injury. J Trauma Nurs. 2015; 22(2):99-110.
8. Salisbury, D., Driver, S., & Parsons, T. Brain-computer interface targeting non-motor functions after spinal cord injury: a case report. Spinal Cord. 2015;53, 25-26.
9. Trost, Z., Agtarap, S., Scott, W., Driver, S., Guck, A., Roden-Foreman, K., Reynolds, M., Foreman, M. L., Warren, A. M. Perceived injustice after traumatic injury: Associations with pain, psychological distress, and functional outcomes. Rehabilitation Psychol. 2015;60(3):213-221.
10. Dodd Z, Driver S, Riggs S, Clark M, Warren AM. Effects of adult romantic attachment and social support on resilience and depression in individuals with spinal cord injury. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2015;21(2)156-165.
11. Ramsay M. The Biological Cost of the Depression of Consciousness. Revista Colombiana de Anestesiologia. 2015;43:119-121.
12. Lister, E.D., Ledbetter T.G., Warren, A.M. The engaged physician. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90(4):425-427.
13. Cochran G, Field C, Foreman M, Ylioja T, Brown C. Effects of brief intervention on subgroups of injured patients who drink at risk levels. Inj Prev. 2016;22(3):221-5.
14. Petrey LB, Cook A, Gilder R, Bennett M, Reynolds M, Weddle R, Foreman ML. Trauma patient readmissions: Why do they come back for more? Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015;79(5):717-725.
1. Overton TL, Shafi S, Cravens GF, Ghandi. Can trauma surgeons manage mild traumatic brain injuries? Am J Surg. 2014;208(5):806-810.
2. Monden K, Trost Z, Catalano D, Garner AN, Symcox J, Driver S, Hamilton RG, Warren AM. Resilience following spinal cord injury: A phenomenological view. Spinal Cord. 2014;52(3): 197-201.
3. Kelley SD, Ramsay MA. Respiratory rate monitoring: Characterizing performance for emerging technologies. Anesth Analg. 2014 Dec; 119(6):1246-8.