Director, Center of Metabolomics
Ph.D. University of London 1992
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Studies, Baylor University
- Homocysteine metabolism.
- Folate, vitamin B12 and one-carbon metabolism.
- Regulation of S-adenosylmethionine and methylation in metabolic disorders.
- Amino acid metabolism
- Energy metabolism in the central nervous system.
- Inherited disorders affecting neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Risk factors for vascular and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Targeted metabolomics using liquid chromatography mass-spectrometry (LC-MS) techniques to identify biomarkers for vascular and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Role of homocysteine metabolism and methylation in vascular and neurodegenerative diseases
- Biomarker studies in clinical trials of B vitamins in depression and dementia.
- Role of methylation in the regulation and processing of phosphorylated tau and amyloid proteins.
- Use of transgenic models to study the effects of folate deficiency and methylation on brain metabolism.
- Studies on dietary modifications to prevent impaired neurotransmitter metabolism in transgenic models of phenylketonuria (PKU) and maple syrup disease MSUD).