The faculty are very proficient in scholarly activities. Drs. Mack, DiMaio, Smith, Brinkman, Lima, Gonzalez and Sebastian are just a few of the members that have extensive research endeavors.
There is a weekly research conference held at THH and a monthly conference held at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas where investigator initiated and industry sponsored trials are discussed. This conference includes discussion on how research is explained to patients and applied to patient care.
Fellows will be expected to author one research project. In addition to one-on-one coaching from faculty, fellows will learn the basics of research through a dedicated monthly research lecture offered at BUMC with topics that include:
- Research planning and design
- Biostatistics and data analysis
- Clinical trials research
- Outcomes data research
- Ethical decision making in research and ramifications
- Appraising the literature when reading cohort, case-controlled, randomized-controlled, or cross-over trials
- Manuscript preparation
- Abstract preparation and presentation
- Explaining research to patients
- Applying research to patient care